This Retro Old School Dinner Cake Will Bring Back Memories!
It was after a long week of baking when my boyfriend’s mum requested a cake that she remembered having in school. She described a moist sponge cake topped with icing and sprinkles (or hundreds-and-thousands as we call them). That’s when I remembered that same cake I used to have in school and I couldn’t get it out of my head. Despite having already filled up the fridge with cakes and bakes, I had to make it! I would be lying if I said there wasn’t three slices left after only making it today… It went down a treat and I guarantee you’ll fall in love with this cake all over again. There is something so comforting about the smell of this cake wafting through the house and best of all it’s so easy to make. I like to cut it into square portions like my school cafeteria used to serve it. And for me, nothing goes better with it than steaming hot custard. Simply delicious!
- This one bowl recipe is super easy and quick to make
- Add the water to the icing sugar in small amounts to avoid it being too runny
- Add the sprinkles when the icing is still wet so they stick easier
- To store it, put the cake in an airtight container and enjoy for up to 5 days. Or you can freeze it for up to 3 months
- Bake the cake on the middle shelf of the oven to avoid browning too quickly
- For extra tips on how to get the perfect cake, visit this page!